Sunday, January 13, 2013

Chapter 5 - Part 2


On her birthday, Cheryl decided to treat herself to a day off. Bunking classes was an indulgence that she could scarce afford with exams looming on horizon. But what the heck. She was turning nineteen. The last of teenaged years. She smiled as she lazed in the bed and watched Joyce scurrying about the room.

“Why are you bunking classes again?” Joyce asked for the umpteenth time. She narrowed her eyes. “You never do. Are you sure you are okay?” she stopped at the door.

“Go, Joyce. I am fine. I never ask so many questions when you bunk.”

“All the more reason...”

“Out with you!” Cheryl threw a pillow at her friend, as she laughingly shut the door behind her.

She stretched and got out of the bed. Grinning to herself, humming under her breath, she pondered her options. She knew that Joyce will be back the moment she checked her facebook account.

Joyce. Over only a few months, she had managed to draw Cheryl out of her shell. She was exuberant, full of life and loyal. She dragged Cheryl on double dates and then watched over her like a mother hen. Ensured that weekends were not spent drowned in books and in tattered pajamas. She was the reason why Cheryl had begun to enjoy college so much more. Hard to believe that six months ago, they did not know each other.

Her phone rang.

“Hey sweetie.” Angela’s voice rang with smiles.

“Hi, mom.”

“Happy birthday, Cher. What are you doing? What plans? Hot date?”

“Thanks, mom. And no, mom.” Cheryl rolled her eyes.

“Let me speak to her.” The phone on the end changed hands and Daniel came on line. “Hello, darling. Happy birthday and let me tell you that you do have a date tonight. With us. You are meeting us for dinner.”

“Dad, I’d love to...”

“I do not want to hear any excuses, Cher. Unless you have other party plans. In that case, we would be happy to take you out later in the week.”

“I am not making any excuses! No, I do not have any other plans. And I would love to have dinner with you guys.”

“Great. Chris will pick you up at 7. Bye”

“That’s not....” She never finished her sentence, as her father disconnected. She shook her head and felt happy. Loved.

Joyce banged the door open. “Today’s your birthday!” she accused. And then grinned. “Where’s the party?”

“You haven’t wished me yet.” Cheryl pointed out dryly.

“Happy birthday. There. Happy? Now where’s the party? I know. We can go out in the evening. And I can....”

“Whoa. Slow down, Joy. My family’s treating me to dinner. And you are welcome to join.” Cheryl surprised herself with the last part. She had not thought about it. But it felt right. Nice. She had a friend and she had a family. And for once she wanted the two to meet.

“You sure?” Joyce hesitated, unsure. So far, Cheryl had avoided most conversations about her family. But it wasn’t difficult to find out who exactly was her family. They were practically the local royalty. The town’s biggest claim to fame.

Joyce might not fully understand her friend’s reluctance to talk about her parents and siblings – after all, she was clearly loved – but she respected it. So, she asked again. “Are you absolutely sure. I do not want to gatecrash your fun. We could go out over the weekend. My treat. Or, I have a better idea. We could double date.”

“Joyce.” Cheryl was amused. “I am absolutely sure. We will do the double date later.”

Joyce’s eyes were incredulous. “You are kidding, right? About the double date? You would, seriously? I don’t think I have ever seen you on a date.”

“There’s a first time for everything, my darling’.” Cheryl winked. “Now don’t you have a class to run to?”

“Oh, shit. I am so late. Bye.”

No comments:

Post a Comment